Form I-485 is also called the “Adjustment of status application,” which is used to apply for a legal permanent residence (the green card). The Adjustment of status (AOS) is a procedure to convert an applicant’s status from non-immigrant to immigrant.
After the approval of the USCIS application, they can work and live in the US with their legal identity. Individuals can also apply to become naturalized citizens, for which they must be present in the US to adjust their status and submit Form I-485. In comparison, those not in the United States can also file Form I-485 with the help of their local United States embassy.
I-485 Processing Time:
An individual can assume the processing time for Form I-485 to be at least 8 TO 14 months. The USCIS may take 4 to 6 weeks to accept the application and send the individual a confirmation receipt. Moreover, after the acceptance receipt, the user may receive a notification of a biometric appointment, which is mandatory for the individual to apply.
Furthermore, receiving would take eight to twelve months if the user has applied for a travel document and a work permit. Afterward, an individual would have an interview at the local USCIS office. The processing time for an interview would hinge on numerous factors, such as;
- The kind of class in which an individual is applying.
- What time and date are accessible for the interview.
- How busy the local USCIS office is.
Sometimes, getting an interview schedule can take at least 7 to 12 months. However, the processing time can depend on the situation of an individual.
I-485 Status Check
To check the status of the I-485 application, an individual can verify his status through an online web portal that a USCIS official might have shared with him. After visiting the web portal, he would utilize the Form I-485 receipt number to search his case status.
Moreover, if one’s Form I-485 is not included in USCIS’s standard processing period, he is suggested to submit a case inquiry to verify his status. Furthermore, he can contact the USCIS at the provided contact center to confirm his position.
Usually, an interview is the last step in adjusting the status process. After studying an individual I-485 application form, the USICS officials will send a notification for an interview to gather additional information about the individual. According to that information, the USCIS officials decide whether to deny or approve the individual’s application.
What should an individual bring at the time of an interview?
In the interview notice sent by the USCIS officials, there would be a list of required documents that must present at the time of the interview. The required documents include interview notice, individual state-issued identification, all copies of his current and previous passports, birth certificate, respective immigration documents, and personal travel documents.
What is a suitable time to arrive for an interview?
It is advised that an individual must arrive thirty minutes before the interview time. Arriving before the time would give an advantage in preparing themselves mentally for the interview.
Can an individual bring anyone with him to the interview?
Bringing someone to the interview would be according to the individual’s status adjustment, e.g. if eligibility is based on the individual’s marriage, then he is allowed to bring his partner with him. If an individual has any disability, he can have an authorized representative or an attorney assist him. Moreover, if an individual is a minor, a guardian must accompany him.
Birth Certificate for I-485
When an individual applies for the Form I-485, he must provide a certified copy of his birth certificate or a photocopy of an original birth certificate. If an individual cannot deliver his birth certificate, he must prove its unavailability and submit alternative evidence of birth.
The new card is being produced
After the successful interview, he might receive a notice regarding updated status report, and the card is being produced. Moreover, this indicator can also be viewed as the approval of the card. The status report tells that USCIS has completed all the formalities. He will receive the card within 5 to 10 working days once the status updated to “New card is being produced.”
- https://visawill.com/new-card-is-being-produced-i-485/ retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://citizenpath.com/faq/evidence-birth-green-card/#:~:text=When%20filing%20Form%20I%2D485,see%20it%20at%20that%20time retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/while-your-green-card-application-is-pending-with-uscis retrieved on July 17, 2022
- https://www.rnlawgroup.com/i-485-interview-qa/ retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://self-lawyer.com/form-i-485-processing-time/#:~:text=You%20can%20expect%20the%20total,appointment%2C%20which%20you%20must%20attend retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter14-12.html retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://www.immigrationhelp.org/learning-center/all-about-form-i-485-application-for-adjustment-of-status retrieved on July 17, 2022.
- https://learn.simplecitizen.com/immigration-support/form-i-485-instructions/ retrieved on July 17, 2022.